Friday 16 February 2007

Stupid New AdWords Quality Scores!

Well, today I felt the effects of the new AdWords Quality Score algorithms and I'm not happy. I'm not just "not happy," I think their assessment is just plain stupid!!

I run a small AdWords campaign for my church, Proclaimers Church in Norwich , U.K. The church is called Proclaimers Church and the web site is www.proclaimerschurch.com.

Today I discovered that 3 of my keywords are now inactive for search and the minimum bid has been raised to £0.50 and they are classified as "Poor." Prior to the new changes, these keywords were costing me £0.03 or less!!

So what are these poor quality keywords for Proclaimers Church in Norwich? Well you might ask!

They are:

  • "proclaimers church" (phrase match)
  • proclaimers church (broad match)
  • proclaimers church norwich (broad match)
Now, I guess that I can just about understand the logic behind the broad match keywords, because synonyms of "proclaimers," "church" and "norwich" wouldn't necessarily apply to this particular church. However, the following keywords are considered "OK":
  • proclaimer's church (broad match)
  • "proclaimer's church" (phrase match)
What's more, I even have one "GREAT" keyword, which is:
  • proclaimers church norfolk
Now, that really is confusing, and here's why.

First, the church's name is "Proclaimers Church" NOT "Proclaimer's Church" yet the version with the apostrophe ranks higher!

Second, Norwich is the city in which this church is located and Norwich is in the county of Norfolk. However, the broad match proclaimers church norfolk is considered great whereas the broad match proclaimers church norwich is considered poor, even though it more accurately describes the church!!

What's more, in another ad group, the following keywords are also considered great:
  • christian norwich (broad match)
  • jesus norwich (broad match)
  • church norfolk (broad match)
Yet this keyword is considered poor and now has a £5 minimum bid (which is nearly $10!!!):
  • "norfolk church" (phrase match)
How can this make sense when the keyword "norfolk churches" (phrase match) is considered OK and has a £0.10 minimum bid.

So, take a look at the church's web site and see if you think those keywords warrant Google's assessment.

I wonder if there's a way to appeal these ratings because they sure are STUPID!!!!

Now, I gather that Google is aware of a bug in their new algorithm, I can only hope when they fix it these keywords assessments will make more sense, otherwise I see a fury ahead that will make the outcry against the last update seem like nothing in comparison.

Technorati Tags:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you were running a very efficient adwords campaign and google reckoned they could squeeze a little more out of you. Or they did was wrap it up in a new algorithm.